Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Crowhen talks about how folks need to produce more comics for women. I agree- I love manga, but what I really want are stories from my own culture represented. While I don't mind well written and innovative stories about white culture, I'm just saying that there's a lot of room for many different stories to be told. Now, black folks alone spend 300 million bucks per year on books, and that's not counting the books we borrow from libraries, pass around among friends,etc. And that's just us. Hispanic folks need more books(even if it's just translating Spiderman into Spanish, but that's way too weak), and manga is all fine and dandy, but there are tons of different ethnic groups and experiences in the Asian community.

So basically companies are just sitting on money they could be making. DC could go, put those old Milestone comics in small manga style volumes, and there they got some stuff they could sell. But one thing I should caution folks about is don't just put a face of color on your comic with no advertising or promotion to the target audience. Folks need to know your book is out there. Don't just think that we are clairvoyant. And for god's sake, require some writing skills,ok? We can read!

And yea, I know we need to build up on our own, which is why I started a livejournal community devoted to this. But all the building up in the world isn't going to help if we still have to contend with ridiculous attitudes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home