Thursday, July 13, 2006

I was reading Fruits Basket yesterday(volumes 2-4 haven't gotten further than that in the manga) and I have to admit I love the story, although I hate the main character. Of course, Fruits Basket really isn't about Tohru- she's just sort of a catalyst whose innate goodness opens up the world of the other characters. But I'm like eh, it's ok to have a feeling for yourself once in a while! Show some depth! Flipped talks about shoujo manga with strong female characters, and while we all have different definitions of who is strong and who is not a strong female character(some say she's got to kick ass, some say she's got to be brave and loyal), Tohru, even though if the story was actually about her could become a strong character, would not fit the bill.

4 Comments:

Blogger 100LittleDolls said...

I think once you get further on in the manga, you'll see Tohru gain main depth. Recently, by the last volume that's available here, I think she's becoming stronger and stronger.

But personally, I thought from the beginning she was strong: being an orphan, working and going to school and upkeeping a home all the same time (she's like a young mom), and being completely loyal to her friends, while still being silly and dorky, makes her a strong character to me. She's not traditionally aggressive or assertive, but she's stubborn, and willing to put others before herself.

I've been enjoying your blog, by the way, keep up the great posts! :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger 100LittleDolls said...

In the first paragraph it should be "more" depth. Typos, typos.

1:58 PM  
Blogger animeg said...

I can see how one can see that as strength, but yea, the whole pure angel of the house thing doesn't do it for me. I bet she'll develop more as it goes on- time to look up used volumes for my august purchase.

1:23 PM  
Blogger 100LittleDolls said...

Yeah, I can definately understand that--I think it helps that she's balanced by her two best friends, (personally I would love to see a book centered just around them.)

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home