Friday, March 05, 2010

Personally, Fanservice is a Bore

Fanservice is like hot sauce. A little bit can make a show slightly more entertaining. While watching Code Geass, I'd think "Man, Kallen looks good in that suit she wears when she pilots that mecha." 1% girls in attractive mecha suits improves the anime, but once we get over say...10% fanservice in my estimation, it starts to affect the quality. Thus, do we get to the debate about whether new anime sucks. The issue is that yes, in the past, we didn't have twitter feeds of anime websites meaning that we didn't hear about every single panty shot anime they came out with, but on the other hand, this current moe boom is making me go uuurggh. Yes, moe has its roots in 90s and 80s anime, but the fact is that anime can't live on moe alone, as much as you can't make a meal out of hot sauce. One of my favorite series of the 90s, Slayers, has cute female characters like Amelia and Lina, and attractive male characters like Zel and Xellos, but when you lose interest in Zel's awesome body, there's still the mystery of whether he'll ever find something to get his original body back, the excitement of battles with monsters and gods, and even some amusing hijinks on the side.

Compare this to me trying to watch the anime of Rosario + Vampire. I thought the manga was fairly cute, so I thought "I'll watch the anime." OK, I don't think I got through an entire episode. The point of a panty shot is that you're seeing something usually hidden. If you see them every five seconds, it breaks one's concentration. I start thinking "really? why doesn't she wear shorts under her skirt? Doesn't she know that she's constantly flashing everyone? What if she wears period panties?" Back in the 90s, a harem anime would have maybe five panty shots in a show. You could ignore that level of panty shot and still enjoy other aspects of the show. Of course, I blame harem shows for moe anime today. At first, they had to make some weak attempt to have a plot and they put some random dude in to create some sort of audience sympathy, but since anime creators found that having a plot was unnecessary,and no one cares about the wimpy guy, remove both and we get moe.

I can't complain too much. While anime has fucking CHU BRA or whatever, Ouran Host Club finally grew a plot, Nana's near final volume is coming out, All My Darling Daughters is sticking in my head as some sort of masterpiece ,and so I'm happy. And of course, I'm not on Japanese fan time in anime or manga, so I am in part shielded from the crap. Right now, I'm am obsessively watching Planetes, which I have to admit is one of the best anime I've seen. I only just watched Code Geass. Being late really has its perks.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Josh Miller said...

ah, you have to go back like 5-10 years to even get to the newest anime I've found worth watching. As they say, 'they don't make em like they used to".

On a semi related note on the subject of Fanservice though, Gunsmitch Cats the manga is totally awesome but the series started to go downhill when every plot centred around the lesbian pedophiliac dominatrix goldie (ie pointless fanservice boobies in ever issue). Sure,t he series until then wasn't without it's occasional T&A but it wasn't ever that bad.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous shannon said...

I've been obsessed with Planetes, and it's from like 2006... and Code Geass has a small place in my heart...

Uh...lesbian pedophile dominatrices seems like something with a very very small fan base...

9:30 PM  
Blogger Josh Miller said...

Yeah, the irritating thing about GSC's Goldie was that she was so persistent as a villain. The series started off by changing out the villain pretty often, but I think Goldie was the main villain for the latter 2/3rds of the series.

I may be off a bit, it's been a while since I read through any of it. The whole Shades of Grey/Return of Grey arc was much better.

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home