Sunday, April 24, 2011

Fantagraphics and Manga

An aside here from this great essay on Tokyopop and the page rate. Someone mentioned that Fantagraphics manga would be inaccessible to the youth. I think that Fantagraphics' manga line will echo it's American comics line. They have a lot of classics of the cartoon age, quirky indie comics, and the like. You probably won't see Samurai Harem from them, and their presentation will echo the content. It's the same as Vertical, which publishes a lot of art manga- Twin Spica has its original covers and Black Jack has a lovely artsy design.

I think there's plenty of places for manga to grow. The youth market is fairly well covered with everything from One Piece to Card Captor Sakura. Art manga is also growing with books like A Druken Dream and Ayako. Of course, I think we need more josei and yuri manga, but that may just be my personal preference. However, I am the sort of person who supports manga with my dollars instead of merely complaining, so...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home