Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Casual Games, Cost, and Quality

Has the rise of the 6.99 game decreased game quality? I don't know- maybe. As a person who loves casual games, I admit that I won't pay more than $10 for one. Why? The length. If a game has 8 hours or less of gameplay, it's not a good value if it's more than $10. Why do I say this? It's because of price comparisons. A DS game like Chrono Trigger or The World Ends with You with more than double the amount of gameplay is 19.99 at amazon.com. Not to mention the fact that these games are on physical media. If I want a used PS2 game, I can get many good ones for $20 or less. So collector's editions or full price is out. I'm also a core gamer, so maybe I'm unique in this.

Although quality has been lowered recently, I agree. A lot more hidden object games and a lot fewer classics like Chocolitier 2[the best of the 3], Artist Colony, or Plants vs Zombies. There are some bright spots like Ranch Rush 2 or My Tribe, but yes, quality has been reduced. I think some producers should go out on a limb, and start innovating again. 6.99 is a low price, and so some games on the borderline will be purchased, but even someone like me isn't going to play the 50th knockoff of Diner Dash unless there's a really good twist to it.

Give us something novel, and maybe we'll pay more, but probably still not as much as we'd pay for a 'core' game with over 30 hours of gameplay. Thems the breaks!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Prince_Porter said...

I couldn't agree more. Too many developers aren't taking enough risk, myself included. I personally don't take any risks at the moment because I'm trying to save up enough funds to be able to take risks, but other developers just refuse to attempt; they're simply in it for the money. I would agree though, I would set the cap at $10 on a casual game, and it better be good.

4:28 PM  
Blogger animeg said...

Innovation is expensive, but if you can't take risks, still do your best. Quality is what I want- a well made noninnovative game I will play and recommend.

7:55 AM  
Blogger animeg said...

One thing that I really prefer is the ability to play at a harder difficulty level. I also wish someone would make a longer harder version of Dinertown Tycoon or Fairy Godmother Tycoon- those were awesome games!

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home