Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hey Dumb Fuck!

You don't get Scott Pilgrim.

Scott Pilgrim is from Scott Pilgrim's perspective: notice how in volume 6, some past events are recast? And BTW: skinny white guys have been getting laid since I've been alive. The 'problem' with the nerd isn't so much that he plays with his PSP, and knows about Batman- the average person knows as much about Snooki or whatever as a nerd knows about Batman- it's a lack of confidence. But Scott's arrogance- his ability to convince folks that he's the shit, even though he's an unemployed guy who lives off his gay pal, is what moves him through the story. And you know what? That's what gets him laid. Problem solved. Duh.

BTW: I think this lady gets it. While I think anyone who plays games is a 'gamer', yes, sometimes there will be movies that appeal to dorks and geeks. You know why? We have cashola. Now if only folks realized that people of color have tons of cash too.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Josh Miller said...

tl;dr

Seriously though, based solely on reading through book 1, Scott Pilgrim is not what I would call a "nerd". Sure the book has a few vague nerdy references, though I'd call them more geek references than nerd references, Scott Pilgrim is just a slacker band member at best.

If you really wanted to stereotype him I'd say he's more stoner type than nerd, though I'm not sure that he's any sort of drug user.

Basically, he's more close to Jay and Silent Bob than Anthony Michael Hall in Sixteen Candles, and while Jay and Silent Bob are all "comics and batman ans shit" I wouldn't call either one of them nerds really.

6:19 PM  
Blogger animeg said...

Scott Pilgrim might not even really drink, but he's certainly a slacker. A nerd...hmm... I think of a nerd as someone who works hard on their geeky hobbies- they know all the references, they speak Klingon, they have created special rules helpers to print out on board game geek...

Really...has dude ever heard of a slacker? It's a cultural type since at least the 90s!

9:57 AM  
Anonymous susurro said...

Shannon, I noticed a lot of the comments in response to ppl reviewing the movie has to do with the original text. Do you think it is fair to critique people who have not read the text based on there review of the movie? I'm not trying to be obnoxious here, but I've actually gone to get the GNs based on your comments & someone else's on my blog & am considering teaching a course called "From Text to Film" as a result of the Scott Pilgrim metaconversation as well as a comment about books I just wrote myself where I trashed the film "Bram Stroker's Dracula" for using the author's name in the title of the movie but not following his text (ie, I did the same or at least a similar thing as ppl are doing w/ Scott Pilgrim now). Just curious about your thoughts.

9:59 PM  
Blogger animeg said...

I have no idea what's going on. I do tend to consider the original material canon over derivatives like movies or anime, just because you can't put as much into movie type forms as you can into manga or novels.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home